Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Save Gas Money; Save Our Planet

I have to admit I am so blessed.  Just as I was about to blow a gasket about the astronomical rise in gas prices over the past weeks, I get an e-mail at work.  I am lucky enough to work for a healthcare company that cares about its employees and the communities in which they work.  The subject line on the e-mail was "Let's Build Healthy Communities."  In the e-mail was a link to a website that gave information on how to reduce fuel consumption.  Just what I needed when gasoline prices have gone up to over $4.50 a gallon in my neighborhood. It's a great site.  Some of the tips it gave are for reducing fuel consumption are:
  • Avoid vehicle trips when possible, especially for shorter distances; walk or ride a bicycle instead.
  • Carpool, vanpool, or use public transportation once or twice a week.
  • Improve fuel economy by:
    1) Accelerating and decelerating more slowly
    2) Driving within the speed limit
    3) Removing unnecessary weight in your car to lighten resistance
    4) Turning off the ignition when your car is standing still
    5) Maintaining proper tire pressure.
    6) Following proper maintenance of your vehicle
  • Linking trips together
Sure, some of the tips are plain common sense.  But how often do we drive around the corner to the store or post office?  I don't know about you, but I am so tired of paying exorbitant prices at the pump.  I'll try just about anything to save a buck or two.  Maybe I'll even lose a few pounds by walking or bicycling a few times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment